Friday, September 14, 2012

Feature Friday Mermaid Collage with Norma G




Hey Hey Friends, Norma G. here!
Can you believe summer is already over!  It seems like it just flew by doesn't it.....well this project is kind of my farewell to the warm days of summer :D    


This is a 5x5 mixed media canvas featuring stamps from the PWP Sea Mélange Set and PWP Kind Words Set.


I started on my background by applying a generous layer of Golden Crackle Paste Medium with a palette knife and blending blue acrylic paint right into the paste.  Next I randomly sprinkled Duo Blue-Green and Micropearl Pearl Ex Pigments for a little shimmer.  I wanted to create the feel of the ocean and create a sense of movement in my background.


Once the paste dried for a few hours, I had this beautiful background full of texture and interest.  I love how the light dances off of the shimmering Pearl Ex Pigments.


For my focal image, I chose to use the gorgeous mermaid in the Sea Mélange set.  I stamped her twice on white cardstock and I trimmed one of scrap pieces down to 2" x 3".  I set the other aside for later.  Next I stamped and embossed the edges with the floral border in the Kind Words set.


To color in my background I used a combination of London Blue Dylusions Ink and Walnut Stain Distress Ink.


I colored in the second mermaid with Prismacolor pencils.  Then I carefully fussy cut and layered her onto the other mermaid.


I used a punch to round my edges and then mounted her to a scrap piece of white cardstock from my stash.  Next I stamped two of the fish from the Sea Mélange set with Gesso to complete my scene.


I used Stazon to stamp the sentiment from Sea Mélange and cut it into strips.  I inked all of the edges with Walnut Stain Distress Ink.  I like cutting my sentiments into strips because it gives me greater flexibility with placement.  It also allows the background to peak out behind the strips.


To finish off my canvas I used K&Company cardstock and acetate die-cuts from their Tim Coffey line as well as a Grand Adhesions dimensional sticker from the same line.


And there you have it, a quick and easy mixed media canvas!  I hope you'll pull out your stamps and have some fun :D  We'd love to see your creations!!  So be sure to stop by the Paper Wings  Flickr Gallery and upload your beautiful projects.  

Before I go, here is a complete list of the supplies I used on this project:

Supplies
PWP Stamp Sets: Sea Mélange & Kind Words
5x5 Canvas
Golden Crackle Paste
Blue Acrylic Paint
Pearl Ex Pigments: Duo Blue Green & Micropearl
Dylusions Ink: London Blue
Tim Holtz Distress Ink: Walnut Stain
Liquitex Gesso
Stazon: Black
Ranger Embossing Tinsel: Red
Prismacolor Pencils
Beacon 3-in-1 Advanced Craft Glue (my fav for mixed media projects)
K&Company Tim Coffey: Grand Ahesions Dimensional Stickers, Cardstock and Acetate Die-Cuts 

Get to Crafting & have a Beautifully Creative day!!!

10 comments:

  1. Mer-magnificent collage, Norma! I love seeing what you make and all the layers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! Norma's best yet! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so very beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, Norma, this is absolutely fabulous!! My favorite project of yours yet!! Love, love everything about it...especially the gorgeous mermaid :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for all your sweet comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so great Norma! You are so creative! I love this project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Norma, this is stunning!!! I LOVE~ LOVE~ LOVE everything about it! Wow! Happy to be a new follower here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, simply great post.
    I would use a picture I took of my son's family at a recent wedding.

    Dazzle-Tac
    Beacon Gem-Tac

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, this blog is really instructive. I would like to know more about this.simply great post.

    Online craft store

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...