Monday, August 13, 2012

Mixed Media Monday 8/13


Hey there peeps,

Today, I am going to share with you a project we did earlier this month at Stamp Antonio, stamping on dominos.  We made two different kinds of books in the class, an accordion and a coptic stitch book.  Besides making books, dominos can be made into all kinds of jewelry.  Do you use dominos in your art?  Try it and let us know what you think!





Dominos have always been one of my favorite surfaces to stamp on.  Add to that my fierce love of bookbinding and I found myself looking at ways to turn dominos into book covers.  With a little imagination, there are countless ways to turn a domino into a book.  

I have found that in most cases you want to stamp and embellish the dominos before turning them into a book.  You can use any of your favorite stamps on the domino, you may even look at the stamps you have a little differently.  The image does not need to be the same size as the domino.  You can use bits and pieces of a design.  Once you choose and image, you will want to stamp it with Staz-On ink. I have seen tons of different ways and ideas on how to stamp on dominos.  This way is my own personal favorite.  I’ve done it this way for about 10 years, so I can say that the color holds over time.

1.   Stamp your domino with Staz-On and allow to dry. 
2.   Color with water based markers (Tombow, LePlume, Tim Holtz Distress Markers).  Yes, I said water based markers.  You can layer colors for a more vibrant appearance.  You can also blend colors nicely with the use of a light shade.  The color will not be set (read will smear and can be removed!) until it has been sealed.
3.   Seal with a spray sealer.  My favorite is Workable Fixtif from Krylon.  You MUST use a sealer that is made to seal water based media!  Read labels!  I found that sprays meant for clayboard also work well.  You can use this in between layers of color if you need to.  This spray does not leave a finish (matte or gloss).  Allow to dry.



Now you have all kinds of choices as to what to do with your domino.  Books covers, jewelry, embellishments...the possibilities are unlimited.

I will leave you with one more sample.  This one, the talented Robin Nowak did using our stamps.  Gorgeous!


Enjoy the flight!
Carrie

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted about dominos today. I've been wanting to make some but wasn't sure what type of markers I should use. TFS!!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...